Regional investment and solidarity
The EU invests locally through its regional policy. Addressed to all EU regions and cities, it contains measures to boost economic growth and jobs and improve quality of life through strategic investment. Thanks to this active form of EU solidarity, people in less developed regions can seize the opportunities raised by the largest market in the world.
EU regional policy works to make a difference in 5 key areas:
* investing in people by supporting access to employment, education and social inclusion opportunities
* supporting the development of small and medium size businesses
* strengthening research & innovation through investment and research-related jobs
* improving the environment through major investment projects
* modernising transport and energy production to fight against climate change, with a focus on renewable energy and innovative transport infrastructure
While overall policy is set at the EU level, day-to-day management of the funds is the responsibility of a joint collaboration of the European Commission with national, regional and local authorities.