Eradicating poverty and achieving sustainable development
Together, the EU institutions and countries are the world’s leading donor of development assistance and cooperation. The EU proposes legislation and policies to promote good governance and human and economic development, such as fighting hunger and preserving natural resources.
Responding to the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals, EU institutions work together and provide funding to address the following five aspects of sustainable development:
* People: End poverty and hunger in all forms and ensure dignity and equality
* Planet: Protect future generations from environmental destruction and resource depletion
* Prosperity: Ensure prosperous and fulfilling lives in harmony with nature
* Peace: Create peaceful, just and inclusive societies
* Partnership: Implement development work through global partnership
The EU cooperates with 150 partner countries in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, Asia and the Pacific, as well as civil society and international organisations. In addition to providing financial aid and engaging in dialogues with partner countries, the EU also conducts research and evaluation to ensure that aid is used effectively.